LST 268 was laid down on 26 November 1942 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Company; launched on June 18, 1943; sponsored by Mrs. W. Ward Powell; and commissioned on August 19, 1943.  

During World War II, LST-268 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

Marshall Islands operation (Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls) - February 1944

Tinian capture and occupation - July 1944-August 1944

Western Caroline Islands operation - Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands - September-October 1944

Luzon operation - Lingayen Gulf landing - January 1945

Okinawa Guno operation - Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto - March-June 1945

Following the war, LST-268 was redesignated LSTH-268 (Landing Ship Tank Hospital) on September 15, 1945, and she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on February 16, 1946 and struck from the Navy list on October 31, 1947. On March 24, 1948, she was sold to the Consolidated Shipbuilding Corporation, of Morris Heights, NY, for scrapping.

USS LST 268 earned five battle stars for World War II service.

47039b
print